Educational content on VJNeurology is intended for healthcare professionals only. By visiting this website and accessing this information you confirm that you are a healthcare professional.

Share this video  

CONy 2020 | Epilepsy treatment outcomes: a 30 year observational study

Martin Brodie, MD, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK, discusses treating epilepsy. The current anti-seizure drugs target the symptoms of epilepsy, not the root cause. Therefore, not all patients respond to medication. From observing nearly 800 patients over 30 years, data shows that only 60% of patients find relief with a modest dose without side effects. The remaining 40% constitute refractory and relapsing-remitting epilepsy. This interview took place during the Virtual World Congress on Controversies in Neurology (CONy) 2020.